Monday, May 13, 2013

The Visual Bible: Acts DVD

book cover
The Visual Bible:
Acts DVD


Runtime: 3 hours 12 minutes
Publisher: Visual International
Released: August 1, 2004

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Number of discs: 2
Closed-captioned, Color, Dolby, NTSC

Source: Bought from Christianbook.com.

DVD Description from Amazon:
The Visible Bible: Acts is a dramatization that uses the actual scriptures, word for word, from the New International Version. Journey with the physician Luke (Dean Jones) as he tells the story of the danger, struggles, and triumph that mark the birth of the Christian church. Actors: Bruce Marchiano, James Brolin, Jennifer O Neill, Dean Jones, Andre Jacobs.


My Review:
The Visual Bible: Acts DVD is a visual Bible using the 1984 New International Version translation of Acts. The dialogue and narration are directly from Acts, like an audio Bible. The costumes, settings, and actions attempt to give a visual idea of what it all might have looked like.

I was surprised that some dialogue scenes were told by Luke instead of acted out, but most scenes were acted out and perhaps it would have cost too much to act them all out.

I liked that the actors played the disciples like real people would act. Paul came across as zealous, courageous, and approachable. My appreciation of Silas and the lesser-known "missionaries" grew. Though not Hollywood quality in production value and acting, I still thought this movie was well done and I enjoyed watching it.

I bought the DVD because I plan to watch it once a year. However, you can watch the entire movie on YouTube if you like. I'd recommend this resource as an enjoyable and thought-provoking way to "read" Acts.


If you've read this book, what do you think about it? I'd be honored if you wrote your own opinion of the book in the comments.


Watch the Movie: Acts on YouTube.

2 comments:

Jake Olson said...

Thanks for your review of Visual Bible. I've used Visual Bible Matthew in a church meeting before and showed the Palm Sunday scene I think.

Debbie said...

Jake,

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I first learned about the Visual Bible because my pastor used several clips from it in his Life of Christ sermon series. :)