Friday, September 25, 2009

Book Quotes: Motivation for Holiness

From Eyes Wide Open by Jud Wilhite (pages 76-77):

I began to realize that the way I would overcome sin in my own life was not first by effort. I had tried that. It was by knowing that God had already done it in my life. Rather than constantly praying for help in a certain area of my life, I began to thank God for already delivering me from that area "in Christ." I began to live out my new identity "in Christ." I began to live more out of gratitude than out of guilt. Grace finally was flowing into my heart and life...

It is like when Jesus says, "Abide in me." I immediately think, Okay, what are all the things I need to do to get to a place of abiding? But Jesus was saying, in essence, "You already abide in Me. God has already placed you there. Now simply believe it and remain there."

...This is seeing ourselves as God sees us.


From page 78:

Each day we give ourselves to [God], we surrender our will, we live as servants for God's purpose. Precisely because of our position in Christ, we are motivated to live holy lives. God does care how we live and what we do. Understanding my position in Christ helped me live more like Christ. I strive harder to be holy, not out of guilt and misconstrued fear, but out of thankfulness and joy.

No comments: