Friday, May 21, 2010

Book Quote: God Is Not My Copilot

From Crash Course: Forming a Faith Foundation for Life by Daniel Darling (page 98):

[A bumper sticker] I see a lot has me puzzled. It reads, "God is my copilot." Sounds good, but is that a good way to live? I'm not sure God is interested in being the copilot of your life. He'd rather be your pilot.

In fact, when we take our hands off the steering wheel and slide out of the driver's seat, we give God the freedom to steer us in the way that He knows is best for us.

Today, the words of Solomon, the wisest young man who ever lived, ring true, "In all your ways acknowledge God, and he will make straight your paths."

What does it mean to acknowledge God? It's making a vow that you will consider God in every single choice you make. What does God think about my boyfriend or girlfriend? What does God think about the college I'm considering? What does God think about this new job?

I must admit, this is an easy thing to write, but a hard thing to do. Opening up your life to the lordship of Christ swims against the tide. It might not make you popular.

But you'll go through life with wisdom others don't have, and you'll avoid the pitfalls of a life without God's guidance.

No comments: