Friday, March 26, 2010

Book Quotes: What the Lord has Done

From Above All, Love by Julie Ackerman Link (p.126-127):

In his vision on the island of Patmos, the apostle John saw four living creatures seated around God's throne who kept repeating the same few words. "Day and night the never stop saying: 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come" (Revelation 4:8).

I used to think, What a boring existence!

But I no longer think that. Instead I think about what it's like spending time with someone I love, or doing something I love to do. I don't want to leave; I don't want to stop. I want time to stand still.

That must be what it's like for the special creatures in John's Revelation. I try to imagine the scenes they have witnessed from their position around God's throne. I consider how amazed they must be at God's patient and loving involvement with wayward earthlings. And then I think, What other response could there be? What else is there to say but "Holy, holy, holy"?


and from pages 171-172:

In making personal "to do" lists for God, however, we miss seeing the countless things He has already done. When we wait in doubt and disappointment for God to do the one thing we demand of Him, we miss seeing everything God is doing and has already done.

No comments: